Tuesday 9 October 2007

Con Pan y Vino...



Arres, Spain

Well Skip forward to day 34. I've walked about 970kms now and im in Navarrette in Spain. I've been in Spain for 8days now. I finish the Arles Ruote in puerto la reina two days ao.It was good but alas it was without my friends that I picked up along the way. Matthias and the others didnt make their deadline and had to return home after their 28days. I was very sad to see them go. I feel I owe my survival across france to them.

It was a fantastic four weeks. After I posted last, it got very cold for about a week and then was followed by rain. the walking was great tho, I spent much of the time up talking to Matthias. Him and his stories of his family during world war two, his visits over to Brazil and tails of how hes accended so quickly in the contruction industry( balls and hard work). then in the evening we'd make food and usually have a drink or two. France was great, the people friendly and the food great, but its a distant memory now. we crossed the border to spain at somport, and the Camino has taken on a new character ever since, like a new day really.

The atmosphere is twice as relaxed here, the accomodation is much more frequent an the facilities better and the beer is half the price. The Food is much more simple. On my fist day in Spain I had a pork and cheese Roll for breakfast and it was great.

I Stayed In the nicest town I've been in, Arres, with an endless spanish vista of mountains and valleys surrounding the town. We stayed up drinking wine long into the night on the most memorable day of my trip so far.

Then like another sunset and sunrise I now join the Camino frances at Puerto La Reina. Really it feels like a new trip. With Matthias and friends now back to their homes and sleeping comfortable familiar bed, I found myself alone but not for long. in fact I was never alone at all, After drinking a little too Much with Matthias one night, I woke up with little recollection, a headache and three new spanish best friends. Aparrently I rode home on the shoulders of one.

So in Puerta la Reina I was delighted to find an aussie girl in the place i was staying. The next morning I waited to let her walk ahead, which took awhile, the I caught up with her, stole her away from the old Brazillian guy she was walking with ( dodgy knees you see) and Lisa and I have been walking together ever since.

No comments: